In Monday’s class, student found many antiderivatives using the Substitution Method. The basic process is illustrated below for the antiderivative
- Choose the expression for u. This is generally the inside part of a composition in the integrand. Use the derivative to find an other expression for du.
- Match the integrand with u and du. All variables in the original integrand must change to u.
- Change the integrand so that it is written in terms of u.
- Work out the antiderivative in terms of u.
- Put in the expression for u so that the antiderivative is written in terms of the original variable.
Now let’s look at the examples carried out in class.
Problem 1 –
Problem 2 –
Problem 6 –